Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Broccoli....and lifes little lessons

Yesterday, while I was in the grocery store getting some veggies and elderly lady came up to me while I was getting broccoli and said, "You know, you can eat the stem."
Well, whadda ya know? Someone else knows my secret! (okay, its not a secret. Its a widely known fact.) I let her in on another one of my secrets. When you cook the broccoli, you can use the water to make soup!
I know this woman was trying to be helpful and spreading her knowledge. But does she know who I am? I am a home cooker! I make as much as I can from scratch and reuse as many elements of my meal as I can. I try not to waste anything. I reuse water from potatoes to make buns. I eat the broccoli stems. Tonight, I used my roast beef water to make gravy, borscht and beef-barley soup. I used one roast and I'm getting at least 4 meals out of it, plus a meal of leftovers for Dan. I make bread, buns, bagels on a regular basis.
It was a nice piece of advice...one that someone else's Grandma taught me a decade earlier. Perhaps another random Grandma will teach me something I didn't know. I love your little bits of advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment