Saturday, January 28, 2012

Scrabble: our ex-arch nemesis

For the first time in our almost 5 years of marriage, we have finally done it. We have played Scrabble without fighting or me questioning Dan's choice of words.

You see, Dan grew up playing Scrabble and reading the Scrabble dictionary. I grew up never playing. But I like the game. I like creating words out of random letters. Its a challenge that my brain totally needs after looking after Joel all day. But I could never play with Dan. Dan uses these obscure words that most people have never heard of or use in everyday conversation. I constantly felt as though I was either stupid for not knowing these words or that I was questioning Dan's intellect by making him prove that those letters actually formed a real word.
But last week, we decided to give Scrabble another go.  We laid down some ground rules (like only using conversational words or words used in your everyday vocabulary) and started to play. We actually made it through a game and enjoyed it! Now, we are addicted and play almost every night!!!

It only took 5 years, but we've finally grown up! Now, if you'd excuse me, but there's a lovely man waiting to play a rousing game of Scrabble with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment