Monday, October 12, 2009

Sunday Community

Yesterday in church, I saw something that made me smile. Actually, I think it made a lot of people smile. About half way through April's sermon, an elderly East Indian gentlemen walked into the sanctuary and sat down in one of the pews in the middle of the church. He listened intently as April talked about poetry, the arts and Christianity. (at least I think that's what she talked about. Sorry April, but this event kind of made me lose my focus and therefore forget what you talked about). At the end of the sermon, which had a slight focus on giving (as it was Thanksgiving), so we were asked to bring up our offerings of money, food for the food bank and items we had brought from home that we are thankful for (eg. baskets of nuts, quilts, sketch pads). April talked about how in the African tradition, if someone didn't have anything to bring forward, someone would give the empty handed something that they brought. Everyone would then be able to bring an offering forward. She asked us to do the same and share with those who didn't bring anything or forgot to bring something. The little children came and sang a song that goes something like this, "There's enough for all, if we would learn to share it. There's more than enough for you and me..." As the children sang, the entire congregation got up and came forward bringing their money, food and items of thankfulness. I personally saw many people share what they brought with others who didn't have any. But the thing that warmed my heart the most, was seeing this elderly East Indian gentleman get up and bring forth his offering. I saw him take his money and throw wads of bills into the basket. I couldn't believe that this visiting man would take part in this part of the service (as this isn't mandatory among visitors). After the service, I sought out this man. I wanted to know his story and what brought him to church this Sunday morning. I overheard him talking about how this couple invited him into church. He left the church quickly before I had a chance to talk with him, as the couple who invited him whisked him away. But I love how the Indo-Canadian community is mixing with the community at Emmanuel. (I even found out that a bench was erected outside the church for the elderly East Indians who sit outside the church every day.) I think it would be fantastic to mix the two cultures. It would also be a challenge as we figure out how to integrate a new culture into the church, without making them feel unwelcome. We have been talking a lot about community at Emmanuel and what makes a community. Perhaps this should be a part of the discussion. It's an exciting journey we have begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment