Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Finding The New Normal

This is a new coin phrase that our family has adopted in the last two weeks. You see, my Grandma J had a bit of a health scare and was hospitalized for 3 days. The doctors have (finally) realized that she is sicker than they thought and that she needs more care. But with her sickness comes the joy of finding the new normal. Let me give you a bit of a visualization on this on. For instance, she used to be able to get up out of bed and start her day. Now, her new normal is sitting up slowly for a few minutes, then standing for a few moments before she can begin her day (this is done so she doesn't pass out.) Another example: she used to take her walker to the trunk of the car and walk carefully to the front seat and sit. Now, her new normal is taking her walker to the front seat and sitting down while someone else puts her walker in the trunk. Her new normal is about finding adjustments that she has to make in her life and realizing that these adjustments may not be temporary. They are permanent until the next adjustment needs to be made.
Personally, I have been finding myself realizing that I have a new normal. Being pregnant has not been comfortable or pleasurable. My new normal is sitting up slowly from bed, taking a few breaths, equalizing my blood pressure and then standing up so that I don't pass out. My new normal involves a lot of running to the bathroom to puke and feeling nauseous all day. It also involves taking a lot of anti-nausea drugs to try keep the vomit at bay. My new normal involves a list of top 5 worst things to puke (for those who are wondering: bananas, apple sauce, hot dogs, cheerios and jalapenos top the list). My new normal also includes a lot of naps, exhaustion and early bedtimes. It involves swollen feet and hands, visiting the little girl's room frequently and having my pants fit one day and not the next. And I'm sure as the weeks turn to months, there will be somethings that return to "normal" and other things that become a new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment