Sunday, July 4, 2010

I finally broke him!

We have this man that walks regularly in our neighbourhood and all around town. Dan and I have nicknamed him "The Man with No shoes" since during the summer he walks barefoot all over town. You probably recognize him since he usually wears an army colour jacket, carries a cup from any sort of fast food restaurant in the area and looks homeless (although his home is on our street.) For almost a year, I have walked by him and cheerfully said hi. I have never gotten a response. One time, he was even bleeding from his head and I tried to help him, but he just kept walking. About a month ago, I made it my goal to "break him." I wanted him to say hi in return or at least raise his head to acknowledge that someone was greeting him. I told Dan of my goal and he wished me luck. The next time I saw the man, I said hi and guess what? He said hi back! It was awesome! Dan commented to me that it didn't take me long to accomplish my goal. Hey! It took a good year, but you only knew about it for a week. From that greeting onward, I seem to get a response about 90% of the time. I do believe that there is something (whether mental illness or drug addiction or whatever) that keeps him from responding all the time. But I am happy to get my greeting! Maybe I'll move on to getting a real name!

No comments:

Post a Comment