Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Am I in Hell?

Nope! I'm just standing too close to my oven. It runs 75 degrees hotter than it should! This oven has been a battle for me ever since we moved in. The landlord is dealing with the situation, but I'm still perturbed at it. We got the temperature within a 5-10 degree range of what it should be. (and we learned a new skill...anybody else with this problem? We know how to fix it!)
So, I figured that since the temperature is fixed, baking bread would be okay. So yesterday, I did my mass bread baking (20 loaves) and buns as well. I put my first 6 loaves in the oven, and was very excited to see that the tops of the loaves were a perfect golden brown. As I pulled out the bread, my fire alarm went off. I removed the bread from the pans to find CHARCOAL BLACK bread. It was burnt!! So, I turned the oven down 50 degrees and tried again. This time the next 6 loaves, were uncooked on the top and burnt on the bottom. I am baffled.
Out of the 20 loaves of bread, I got 3 that aren't burnt and are cooked properly (And two of those I put in the toaster oven!) This is driving me nuts! But within 10 minutes, the oven technician (who knew they even existed?) will be here to hopefully fix my oven or say its dead so that I can get a new one. I just hope to get this figured out. I may be one woman who truly struggles to live without her oven. I'm a "cooking from scratch" kinda lady. Am I in hell? No! I've just got a troubled oven.


An Update: The temperature control needs to be replaced. Apparently, the oven temperature is wonky since it goes up and down by 50 degrees during its cycle and this causes burnt food. So Friday the new part comes and we'll have a working oven!!

No comments:

Post a Comment