Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dutch Bingo

It continually surprises me that everywhere I travel in this crazy world, there seems to be someone who knows someone who knows someone I know. In the Dutch world, we call this "Dutch Bingo." It is highly regarded among the Dutch Community and among the first "game" that we play when we meet people.
For example, when we were in Wells, we stayed at a Hotel which had a hot tub on the roof. Dan and I went up one night to check it out. We ended up meeting this couple from the Okanagan. We did the name introductions, as well as where we were from. Then it started. We are from Abbotsford, where their kids when to Columbia Bible College. A few more connections, and we discovered that their last name is Vegt. Then I asked the question, "Do you happen to know Margo and Bert Vegt?" BINGO. "Bert is my brother" was their reply. Its these types of connections that remind me that the world is a smaller place than I think it is.
Today, at church, April (our pastor) was talking about unity. She read a passage from Ephesians 4:1-6, which emphasizes the need to keep the unity of the Spirit. April read a quote that someone from Mennonite World Conference said about the same passage which stuck with me. "Unity is not something that is created, but something that must be maintained."
It amazes me that the first thing that we do when we meet people is try to find something in common so that we can continue on in conversation. Instead of dividing ourselves, we try to unite ourselves. We want to remain in community with people, even if it is only temporary (like the couple in Wells). But unity is not something that we have to create. The Spirit has already created it, we just need to maintain it. Hence, the reason we should play more Dutch Bingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment