Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Squirrel Tendancies

Around this time of year, every year since I've married Dan (and a few years before then), I find myself with squirrel tendencies. You know what I'm talking about. Storing things up for the winter. I find myself baking bread and buns, making casseroles, soups and many meals that I can freeze and use later. I find this saves me so much time and money. When I'm tired from a long day at work, I can come home and pull out a frozen meal instead of calling for take-out or dragging myself through making a meal. Plus, I can make healthy meals full of summer veggies without paying a premium for the vegetables.
Currently our freezers are stock piled with quite a few meals. I've got cabbage rolls (3 meals worth!), borscht, hamburger soup, chili, chicken noodle soup, lasagna, spaghetti casserole, homemade frozen pizza, and ham pot pie. I make enough to feed a small army with each meal and then portion it out into family portions. This way, I can feed unexpected guests or have leftovers for Dan and me. I still need to make refried beans and Mexi-wraps, but those are easy to make in the crock pot in a few weeks when I have room in the freezer to store them.

No comments:

Post a Comment