Sunday, July 15, 2012

Open Letter of Apology

An Open Apology to the Young Visitors of Emmanuel Mennonite Church

Young men and woman, both singles and young couples,
I see you there sitting on the opposite side of the church during the service. My desire is to jump up, run over to you and introduce myself to you. I want to invite you to our care group and make you feel welcome (and perhaps scare you a bit with my enthusiasm). But I'm sorry. Social norms dictate that doing so in the middle of church is somehow frowned upon.
When church is finished, I want to walk over to your side of the church and say hello. But I'm sorry that this church loves children. I'm sorry that my baby is an attention grabber and I cannot walk more than 10 feet without someone stopping me to ask about him. When you have kids of your own you will realize what a blessing this is.
I am also sorry that my toddler needs supervision. There are times when I just want to forget about my kids in order to be able to communicate with you. But I can't do that. I'm sorry.
Please do not take the fact that no one your age talking with you is a sign of neglect or snobbiness. We are not unfriendly. We do care. I care.  I'm sorry that it doesn't seem like it.
Please don't run off right after church. Take some time and stay a while. Have a cookie, enjoy that awkward small talk and be patient. I will get to you. I promise. I just need a few more minutes (and a couple more arms).
Or better yet, search me out. I could use a friend, just like you. I know its hard to be the new face in a strange place. I know its hard to introduce yourself. I've been there. I've been the new face, the new person. I'm sorry that you are in that position. I wish that the introduction was over and that we were old friends. I'm sorry that I have not made you feel welcome yet. Please do not stop attending just because no one your age has said hello. I'm sorry that this church has a very small group of young people. I'm sorry that when you look around the church you see more grey hairs than those without. But know that those with the grey hairs care about you as well. They are wise, encouraging and caring. You will learn to embrace them.
I'm sorry that our small group of young people has yet to introduce ourselves to you. It might only be me in attendance today. I'm sorry that our work sometimes takes us away from church. But know that we are vibrant, hospitable and we've been praying for you. That's right. We've been praying for new young people to join our church. Please just give us time to find you amidst the sea of grey. Believe me, they are all trying to introduce us to you. And we are trying to introduce ourselves to you. I'm sorry that has not happened yet. I'm sorry that we have yet to meet face to face. But I hope and pray that it will happen soon.
---Amanda

3 comments:

  1. oh amanda, you're so cute. i remember when we first came and you enthusiastically came to greet us! and then you were jealous that i didn't have morning sickness when yours was terrible:)
    just a thought…. sit on the other side next week and you won't have to go far to meet them! might solve the problem:) ...and shock a few to see you (or anyone, for that matter) in a totally different spot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...try sitting somewhere else. We've done that a few times and it's amazing what different people you see and what different conversations you have. It's fun. Even the singing and preaching sound different from different places in the sanctuary.
    I really appreciate your post. You are doing an amazing job of meeting people...and letting people meet you (and of course, your adorable boys!). We're so glad you are part of our congregation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete