Monday, July 16, 2012

Practice Hospitality

"Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."  Romans 12:13

These two words have been screaming at me lately. Practice hospitality. That is what God has called us to do. Practice. I often feel as though I'm not great at hospitality. I'm probably too hard on myself, but I don't feel as though I am "good" at the communication part of it. Making small talk or even having conversations, especially with those I don't know well, aren't my strength. I would prefer to cook you a meal and walk away, or just silently watch you enjoy it. But I'm learning to make conversation a part of my hospitality.

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:9-10

When I read these verses, things finally made a bit of sense. Even within the umbrella of hospitality, people have their own unique gifts. Some are better at involving others in conversation. Others are better at preparing and cooking a meal. Still others are better at offering shelter to their guests. Which is perhaps why we live in community. Where one of us lacks strength, another has been gifted. The whole concept of the body comes to mind (if everyone where an eye, where would our sense of hearing come from?) But at the same time, this is not an excuse to stop doing something just because we aren't gifted at it. If I never made small talk with anyone, or tried to get to know someone, how would I be able to use my gift?

I love cooking. I love baking. And more than that, I LOVE sharing food with others. But if I sat in solitude, who would eat my meals? If I never attempted to converse with another person, how would I be able to invite them to my house to share a meal? I guess that's why God has called us to practice hospitality. Its a plethora of activities, resulting in so much more than a meal or place to sleep. Perhaps, it has more to do with protecting and restoring peace within relationships, than it has to do with food.  Hospitality has got to go deeper than just taking care of the physical needs. It has to do with taking care of peoples emotional, spiritual AND physical needs. Perhaps hospitality results in taking care of the whole person. Sharing experiences, conversations, advise, physical goods, and yes, even food can often fill a persons spirit.  It is quite a lofty task, which is probably why we need to constantly practice hospitality. After all, what good is hospitality if we go away with a full stomach, but an empty heart? 

1 comment:

  1. now you don't have the Barkmans to take over the conversation at your table!!! we were a good match:)
    and amanda, your hospitality really did take care of way more than our phsycal needs… we so much love and appreciate the conversations, advise and laughs along with the food:) may you continue to be a blessing to people emotionally, spiritually and physically.
    christina

    ReplyDelete