Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Haircut from Hell

Going for a haircut, is one of those simple benign things that everyone needs to do and does without a second thought. Apparently adventure and disaster seem to follow me wherever I go and getting my haircut was no different.
Being a frugal young lady, i went for the economic haircut and went to one of those "cheap $10 haircut" places. I've been there before and got a wonderful haircut and great service, so I decided to go back. I got this young Kosovoian lady, who had been cutting hair for a year. Already i started to feel apprehensive. Then the haircut began. She commented on how nice my hair was and proceeded to comb it. And comb it. And comb it. And then it felt like she was combing my neck...no rather she was sawing through my neck with a comb. I honestly thought I was going to have scratch marks all down my neck from her combing it. I began to feel as though she was more interested in combing my hair than cutting it.
The cut itself wasn't great either (perhaps because she wasn't really listening to what i wanted). She took almost an hour to cut this ugly blunt straight line through my hair on the back of my head. There was no texture, just plain blunt ugliness.
Then she started in on the front. I felt the comb coming towards me and got worried. Then it kept hitting my cheekbone, so hard that i though i was going to go back in two days with a huge bruise on my face (it would be a great match to the scratches on my neck!). I knew i had to say something.
She started to blow dry my hair to check the length. A large strand flew into my eye and it welled up with tears. Then the flood gates opened. My eyes began to leak. Then i started to cry and lied to the girl that it was just from the hair in my eyes. By this time, i knew she had to stop and i had to get someone else. But I'm too nice and didn't want to hurt her feelings.
She asked me to put on my glasses to check the length of the back of my hair. It was rather uneven, but i just left it and told her it was fine. I figured I would just come back in a day or two and say i was unhappy and get it fixed. Or i would hit another "$10 haircut joint" on the way home. But i realized i was too frugal to pay for two haircuts. I was in a pickle. And a painful one at that.
She kept cutting my hair and scratching my neck. Then she started in with this special comb and it felt like my hair was getting caught in it and ripping out of my head. I kept quietly saying ouch, holding back some tears and randomly wiping my leaking eyes. Then she started in on the combing again and i couldn't take the pain anymore. I asked her to stop and told her i didn't want to hurt her feelings but i would prefer if someone else would finish the haircut. She kept holding my hair about to do more cutting. I told her to put down the scissors and walk away, she was done. And i was in utter agony.
The girl next to us said she would finish cutting my hair. By this time, I'm fully crying (doesn't help that its that time of the month for being emotional). Dan had to come over and bring several tissues for me. The waiting room saw me crying and this weird aura wafted over, as if they knew something was wrong and didn't want that girl cutting their hair either. The girl went into the back room (after hanging around awkwardly for a few minutes).
Finally, Penny, the hairdresser came and saved the day. Or saved what she could. She was so gentle. In fact, when she was getting out some pretty tough knots in my hair, it hurt LESS than the other girl combing my neck. Penny did a wonderful job with what hair i had left. She listened and fixed the other girl's mistakes. She was even able to suggest that she fix the blunt straight back of head hair and give it a bit of texture. I agreed. The haircut, turned out okay. A bit shorter than i would have liked, but what can you do when the other one cut it too short? Penny gave me the haircut for free and also suggested that i ask for her when i come back. (if i come back, i'll definitely be making requests!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment