Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Beyond the volunteer requests, I'm seeking relationships here

There is something I don't understand. And I don't want to be mean when I say this, as it is simply an observation that frustrates me. So, please don't take offence at it (this is not against anyone personally), but perhaps take this into consideration for the future.
Dan and I have been attending Emmanuel Mennonite church for a year and a half now. And I feel like a stranger in the church. I recognize people, but do not (and cannot for the life of me) remember their names. But they seem to know me. Perhaps that because of the family connection, or perhaps they only had to learn 2 names, and I have to learn hundreds, but its frustrating to feel like this. We still don't feel like we have connected with any one in the church (except for a few choice people whom we can count on one hand). I feel comfortable in the church, but not with its members. We still feel like visitors, rather than a part of the family. Like outsiders, rather than insiders. But oddly enough, this is not the frustration at which i want to rant at here.
I am frustrated that I have gotten calls from people, whom I may or may not recognize, that want me to volunteer for something. The volunteering itself isn't the frustrating thing. Its the fact that people are asking me to do something when I really don't know who they are. It angers me to think that its okay for people to "request" my time to volunteer, but won't take the time to get to know me. Personally, I would choose to get to know someone first and find out their passions, gifting and abilities, before asking them to volunteer for something. The last thing you want is a person who hates kids helping in the nursery.
But even beyond the on slot of calls I've received asking me to volunteer, I wholeheartedly wish we knew people better. I often feel intimidated walking up to someone new and starting a conversation, yet I constantly do. Nevertheless, I feel like I still don't know anyone. I am seeking friends, deep relationships, people that are willing to go beyond the "hi, how are ya?" I would love us to be able to call up friends to meet for dinner or hang out. I'm tired of feeling lonely every Sunday when I'm surrounded by hundreds of people. Please stop the volunteer requests, and get to know us. We'd be happy to help, once we know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment