Wednesday, November 11, 2009

H1N1 and the line from Hell

Generally, I have found that there are three different ways that people have responded to the H1N1 flu shot.
1. The "I want the flu shot and I want it now. And I will do whatever it takes to get it" person
2. The "I'm not afraid of the flu, and I'm not sure about the safety of the vaccine, so I'm not going to get it" person
3. The "I'm only getting the shot, because.....I have kids, I have a pre-existing condition etc...." type person

Unfortunately, the type that you meet in the H1N1 line are the number one, aggressive type person. Last week, I took both kids (age 2 and 3) to get the flu shot as their parents requested. Let me say that taking two kids to stand in line for 2.5 hours is not my cup of tea. But then, the line from HELL made it that much worse. I took the kids to Mission, since there was no clinic in Abbotsford that the kids would qualify for (their clinic happened a week earlier, when the kids didn't qualify). People in line, were getting angry and aggressive. They kept saying, "This line is for Mission residents ONLY! People should stay in their own city and get the shot." Unfortunately, not every city had a place for a flu shot, so others would retaliate in angry outbursts. The Health Nurse came around to answer questions, and remove people from line who didn't qualify. Only, she didn't come alone. She came with a body guard. On top of that, there were times in the 2.5 hours that I waited in line, in which I needed to leave the line to gather the children to keep them safe from a delivery truck that was driving by. When I would return to my place in line, people would get angry and refuse to let me back in line. They would force me to the back of the line. I would play oblivious, since there was no way I was going to wait one extra minute in that line. By the time the kids actually got their shot, I was done. We ran out of snacks about an hour into the line, and we were hungry. And tired. Let's put it this way, I felt like going crazy. I laughed when Cypress got the shot, cuz I was DONE!
Needless to say, the next day Cypress got a high fever....a reaction to the shot. Two days later, River came down with a high fever. Now, we all have colds. Probably got them from standing in line with hundreds of other people. (so much for avoiding "close contact" with people who are sick..a slight oversight on the organizers part).

No comments:

Post a Comment