Thursday, November 26, 2009

So this is what being a parent is like...

Dan and I agreed (what are we insane??!?!) to keep the kids overnight last night. Their parents went to a concert and we had Bible study. The kids were fairly good, only coming out a few times to see what was going on. I had to go in a few times to break up fights, but what can you expect? They are little. They finally went to bed at about 10:30/11ish, which is not abnormal for them. (although, they were bouncing off the walls, and my eyes were drooping...) I had a good nights sleep, until....
5:45am. River wakes up screaming and crying. Something about his leg hurting. I never did find out what the problem was. I just tried to calm him down and keep him from waking up Cypress who is in the same room (probably a cardinal mistake on my part, but I'm still learning)
6am. Cypress wakes up crying, complaining that something hurts. I assume she wants some sympathy after hearing me with Rivs. Then the coughing starts. I pick her up to take her out of the room, so that River can sleep. As I'm picking her up, I feel this gross heave extirpating vomit onto my shoulders, back and hair. By this time, I know what's happening and make a run for the bathroom. I stand her in front of the toilet and instruct her to barf in it. Meanwhile, I'm peeling off my shirt to keep the vomit from dripping all over the place (needless to say, there is a nice trail from her room to the bathroom). She vomits again...but instead of her aiming for the toilet, she turns her head at the last minute and it ends up all over the floor and the bath mat. Gross! We clean her up, change her shirt and put her to bed. Dan and I spend the next 15 minutes removing barf from our floor and bedsheets. We go back to bed, tired yet very awake. We are just about asleep when at
6:30am I hear Cypress complaining that her tummy hurts. I run to her room, just in time to grab a blanket to catch her vomit. I yell at Dan to run and grab a bucket. (he walks) It's dripping through the blanket (which is still wrapped around her), and into my hands. Finally, Dan gets the bucket to me and we yet again clean up. I instruct Cypress to vomit into the bowl if she needs to barf again. I ask Dan to get a towel to put under the bowl (see, I'm getting smart), while I settle her down. We both head back to bed. We are just about asleep when at
7 am I hear her start to gag. Up it all comes, this time in the bucket. But she is screaming. When I finally calm her down to understand her, I realize that she is upset, because the vomit is on her chin. I wipe that up and head back to bed. I'm just about asleep (do you sense a pattern here?) when at
7:30am. She does it again. A quick run to help and an equally quick cleanup and we all head to bed. I'm just about asleep and at
8am. She's gagging again. No barf, thankfully. Just not feeling good. Then River wakes up. He's doing fine until he starts to cough. I grab the bucket and in the barf goes....well at least most of it. It kinda splashed everywhere. Another bed spread into the laundry. It doesn't help that his diaper was all out of place and he wet through the bed. Yippee!

Needless to say, that's the last barf we've had so far. It's currently 10:30am. I'm on my third load of laundry (and there are at least 2 more). Oh the joys. I think at about 6am this morning Dan and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Amanda: So, this is what having kids is like.
Dan: We are NEVER having kids.
Amanda: Nope, never.
Dan leans in to snuggle up next to Amanda.
Amanda: Are you kidding me? Get away from me! No kids! EVER!

I think our sleep loss led to this but, needless to say. If' you're going to practise, you may as well have a bad experience. If you can make it out alive, I think you're ready to go forth and multiply....but maybe not until this experience is forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment