Sunday, November 8, 2009

Walking and the Weather

Walking in this weather can be fun. Dan and I were walking home in the pitch black since the power went out around town. It was fun to walk with the wind screeching by and the rain dumping down. Dangerous at times.....some people still don't understand four way stops or that some people are crazy enough to walk in the wind and rain.....but fun.
On Saturday afternoon, I went to the mall to quickly pick something up before returning home. It was pouring and my umbrella broke on the way to the mall. (the handle came off and it refused to open). I decided to take the bus home, since the heavens decided to open up and dump rain like the world was ending. I ran to the bus, only to have an elderly gentleman take his sweet time to close his umbrella and get on the bus. So, needless to say, I was drenched. Happy (since I found the whole rain dumping on me quite humorous), but drenched. Anyway, as the bus starts to drive, I notice that there are fish tails about 10 feet tall coming straight out from the wheels of the bus. I haven't seen any fish tails that huge since I've been in a large boat. I actually joked that I didn't know if we were on a boat or a bus. Then, we passed this man in a bus shelter. The rain dumping on his head and then, to add insult to injury, a 10 foot wave of water splashed on him from either wheel of the bus. The man, was wet. Sorry to the man, but it was hilarious. From the front of the bus, I hear the driver giggling. He said, "I moved over as far as I could, but there was nothing I could do." (I must interject and say that this driver has a good sense of humour, as earlier this week he drove right past me at the bus stop, only to stop about 200 meters away with the comment, "I've always wanted to do that!") The driver continued to giggle and so did a few others (including me) on the bus. It was like a bunch of elementary school kids after someone farted. Giggles followed by controlled silence, and then bursts of laughter. I eventually got off at my stop and noticed a HUGE puddle that the bus needed to drive through. I know that after laughing at the man who got drenched, I probably deserved to be soaked as well. But I'm a smart cookie and waited a great distance from the puddle, so as not to get wet. I even had to run half a block (or the length of the puddle) so that a passing car wouldn't give me the same fate as the drenched man.
I love this weather. Sometimes though, it doesn't love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment