Friday, January 8, 2010

Is doing the right thing a hazard to other people?

I like (okay, LOVE) to drive the speed limit. But in doing so, I basically piss people off one speed limit at a time. Somehow in our need for speed culture, actually obeying the posted limits is an antiquated notion for most drivers that illicits rage. Case and point: the other day I was driving along, going the posted speed limit up by Abbotsford Christian. A man was tailgating me, obviously annoyed at my ability to follow the law. He proceeded to pass me in the bike lane (as there is only single lane traffic there). Did I forget to mention that I passed our beloved Gareth Brandt biking home in the bike lanes only a 500 meters ago? So, is my doing the right thing by following the speed limit, actually a hazard to those who bike in the bike lanes? I must admit that this is the second time in the last six months this has happened to me (at the same point no less!). So, is doing the right thing actually doing the right thing? Or would it be better for me to have been doing the wrong thing (speeding), in order to do the right thing (like keep the bike lanes clear and thus Gareth a little bit safer)?

No comments:

Post a Comment