Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It takes a village...

There's a reason why its been said that it takes a village to raise a child. After a day (okay, week) like I've had, I feel like I need someone to bounce ideas off of and to get some support. I'm not even raising my own children, but I have been given the wonderful responsibility of helping raise other people's children. Tonight, I got on the phone with both parents and we discussed the horrendous behaviour we have been experiencing. It was wonderful to know that I am supported and that I'm not the only one experiencing this behaviour. It was good to know that we are all trying new techniques and willing to support one another to try improve the behaviour. It was also reassuring to know that the parents said if the behavior isn't improving, that they are willing to seek out a child psychologist or behaviour analyst to see if we can improve things that way. I'm just relieved since I'm so tired of the 40 plus minute marathon battles about everything, including eating, dressing, playing, potty training. I'm tired of the "I want my mommy" whines that I hear everywhere (including out in public!) about every that goes wrong. This is why mothers, father and caregivers need support from others. They cannot do this alone. That's why God created community. He wants us to meet with one another, support one another, and help raise each others children. Perhaps that's why when we dedicate our children or baptize our children, we ask that the church supports us in our decision to raise our children in the Christian church, by praying for us and supporting us in whatever way possible. Do you know of any family that could use your support? Your words of encouragement? A night away from the kids? Remember those families in your prayers-they need it. I guarantee it!

No comments:

Post a Comment