Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Transitions and learning to LET IT GO!

I'm not one to make new years resolutions. I hate the idea of waiting until a new year starts to better yourself. I prefer to make resolutions as the year goes on and improve who I am in the process. Shortly before the new year started, I realized how high strung I can be. Okay, I've been learning this for years, but the solution finally hit me and brought the problem to the forefront again. I was watching Reba on the television and a conversation that occurred between Reba and Van (her son-in-law) really opened my eyes up to a solution. I know this sounds so elementary, but to those who struggle with being high strung, the thought of a solution can lead one over the edge. Reba was overwhelmed with some issue and Van said, "I have one word for you, LETITGO!" Reba answered, "That's actually three words." Van replied, "LETITGO!"
I find that I need to learn that. I need to LET IT GO. There is a line in a Great Big Sea song that reads, "Let it Go, let it go. This is smaller than you know. It's no bigger than a pebble lying on a gravel road." For someone who worries about virtually anything and gets all strung out when things go array, this is a really hard lesson to learn. But I vow to try my best. When the kids are being slow and we are in a hurry, I've got to LET IT GO. When Dan leaves a dishes on the counter, rather than putting them in the dishwasher, I've got to LET IT GO.
I really believe that this will help me out in this next year. 2010 seems to be a year of transitions for Dan and I. Transitions and change can be scary and stressful. But I hope that learning to LET IT GO, will help with all these transitions. Normally I worry about this and that, what's going to happen and will things all work out. But this year, I hope to worry less.
There are a few transitions that we are anticipating this year. We are anticipating that Dan will finish school and hopefully get a position in a school system in September. We look forward to finally ridding ourselves of our debt from Dan's student loans. We contemplate adding to our family and anticipate the changes that would bring. We look forward to the first of our friends having a baby and look forward to meeting their new little bundle of joy. We know that the upcoming loss of my job is apparent, and struggle with the consequences of that. We anticipate journeying with our Bible study group, through new experiences and friendships. There is a lot going on, but we hope that this year will be one full of wonderful changes. And when stresses pop up (cuz we all know they will happen), I hope to let go of the stresses and focus on what is good. Worrying about things won't change the outcome. I need to put my trust in God and realize that He is control of all things. Worry about them won't add an hour to my life (I'd probably loose more than that worrying about things!) So, please remind me when I'm stressing out of that one word: "LETITGO!"

No comments:

Post a Comment