Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why I go to Church

Going to church with two young kids, without my husband every other week is A LOT of work. Sometimes I wonder why I do it.

I spend one hour in Sunday School, trying to balance two kids needs. Mostly running after my two year old, trying to keep him semi-quiet and entertained. Luckily, I attend a Sunday School that welcomes my child in all his glory. Its laid back enough that Joel can run around, talk, and play with his toys while I run him in and out to the bathroom 3 times. I can comfortably feed Micah and let Joel "be himself" all while trying to follow the conversation. I must admit that although I may not say a single word the entire hour, I enjoy listening to adult conversation. It makes it worth it to go and deal with the kids, just to hear other adults talk.

Then, we have the hour of church. This is where things get interesting. I don't think I've heard an entire sermon in over two years. I've heard tidbits, but am often spending most of the time keeping Joel quiet and entertained. I am the distraction queen, which is exhausting.

So why do I stress myself out every week and attend church? I often ask myself, "Wouldn't it just be easier to stay home?" After all, its not like I get to hear the message. I spend two hours each week on my "day of rest" doing anything but resting. I spend two hours distracting two tired children. I deal with tears, tantrums and testing all in front of a crowd of people. I feel like I'm being watched every week. Like my parenting is being paraded in front of everyone.

So why do I go to Church?

Its for the 12. Or the 20. Or the 30.

Its for those 12 people who help me every Sunday. Its for the 20 reassuring smiles I receive. Its for the 30 people I interact with during those two hours.

Its for the four self proclaimed "incompete men" who watched Micah for me today during Sunday School while I trudged Joel to the bathroom for the third time.

Its for those in Sunday school who play ball and interact with my toddler all while holding an intelligent conversation.

Its for the ones who direct me in the direction that Joel has run off in, saving me the extra time it would take me to find him.

Its for the ones who hold my baby for a few minutes so I can use the restroom.

Its for the bench behind me who oogle over my children and comment every week on how much they have grown up.

Its for the gentleman who tells me every week, "You're a good mommy!" and shares stories of his grandchildren.

Its for those who hold Micah during the service so my hands are free to distract Joel.

Its for the girls who play with Joel after the service every Sunday, keeping him out of trouble, and busy enough that I can get my stuff together so we can go home.

Its for those who are thrilled by the smiles they get from the boys.

Its for those who don't say anything to me about how distracting my kids are during Church and keep quiet about it.

Its for those who have realized that Joel loves fans and turn them on every Sunday.

Its for those who gently guide Joel back to the front during the children's feature.

Its for those who let him run around the sanctuary during the children's feature.

Its for those who take the time to say hello to my boys. To give them hugs and kisses. To give them high fives or a pound it.

Its for those who have gone before me. Who know what its like to raise young children and give me that reassuring smile. That "I've been there" nod. That, "You can do it " look.

Its for those who give me the encouragement to continue. The understanding that it will get better. And the forgiveness when I make mistakes.

Its for those who allow my children to be who God created them to be. Who are there during the good times and the bad. Its for those who accept my children when they sit quietly during church and when they are loud and distracting.

Its for the 12. Or the 20. Or the 200. Its for each member of the church. For each of those I interact with and for those who interact with my kids. You guys are the reason I go to church. You are why I keep coming. You are why I deal with unruly children. Why I exhaust myself trying to keep my kids quiet for 2 hours. You are the reason I go to church. And why I LOVE it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda, this was lovely. I miss being at church with you and living in community with you and your wonderful family. I wish I could see your little ones in all their sweetness and unruly-ness and have my boys join the mix. I love you all!!!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the exact same way when my kids were little. Gareth was gone about half the Sundays and I did it on my own, too, with 3 little ones. The church was our community, our extended family as we lived far away from any grandparents or aunts & uncles. I needed the church community, not for the sermons and teachings, but for survival. I still need the church, but now I actually get to listen to the sermon. Unfortunately, all those years of never making it through a sermon has made me slightly adhd and I no longer have the attention span of 20+ minutes! :) Amanda, I am so glad that you and Dan and the boys are a part of our community and I pray that we can be a supportive, encouraging part of it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! and thank you for giving your permission to re-post on the church blog. I think it's a great addition to our discussion on young families and the church. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete