Monday, May 13, 2013

Life Lessons (from my mother)

In honor of Mother's Day, I've decided to share a few life lessons that I've learned from my Mother. Or rather, a few things that she says (or has said) on a regular basis. To go along with her wonderful words of wisdom, I took the last two pictures off of our camera to share. I know there are better photos on our camera, but these two just show her personality and who she is so much better.


She's a bit quirky. She's funny. She's willing to do silly things. She thinks (and sometimes says) witty things.

She LOVES her grandbabies! She teaches them so many things and they absolutely adore her.

Now onto the words to wisdom!
This is something she said when I was a teen/young adult as I would leave the house...
1. Be Good and Have Fun
I remember that quite often I would choose to do things and think of those words and only one would apply. So I wouldn't do them. Being a people pleaser/rule follower, I knew I wanted to be both good and have fun doing things. Sometimes fun things aren't good (like croquet in a graveyard). Don't worry, that one got nixed. But listening to those words of wisdom, we would find good clean fun!
Sometimes she would add, "Play fair, Keep smiling and wear plenty of red lipstick." Not that those last three things meant anything, especially the lipstick. Especially since neither one of us wears make-up. But it was a fun thing that we would say on a regular basis.
2. It'll all even out in the wash
Probably her favorite saying at the current moment and I couldn't agree more. Instead of trying to take turns paying every time we go out or making sure everything is even Steven, we just go with the flow. Sometimes we pay, sometimes she pays. Everything will even out in the end. My mom is one of the most giving people we know. Dan and I have talked frequently about this fact. We know that there is no way we could ever repay her for all she has done for us, no matter how hard we try. In return, we try to give as much as we can to others. Some people try to hard to repay us gesture for gesture or dollar for dollar, but we try to remind people, it all evens out in the wash. If you can't give to us, give to someone else!  Which is probably another tidbit of wisdom she's given to us. Give! Give! Give!

We know there are more words of wisdom and things she has taught us over the years. But these two things stick out in our minds. We love ya mom!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment