Monday, December 7, 2009

Shopping is bad for my self esteem

Normally, I'm pretty happy with my body type. I don't find myself overweight (although I could stand to loose a few pounds). But whenever I go shopping, I begin to feel like a hippopotamus-monkey. Today I went to go find myself a winter jacket. I needed a new one, as the old one had worn thin and on Sunday, I found myself jammed in the jacket as the zipper failed. Since it was non-fixable (I had to actually cut myself out of the coat), and there was a bit of money left in the budget, I went in search of the perfect coat.
Now most woman get excited about shopping. Probably because they can go to the ladies section, find something cute in their size and go home. Not me! I start in the ladies section, and find the XL (which isn't really my normal size...I'm actually only a medium/large, depending on the size of the garment) and see if it will fit me. No such luck. I have broad shoulders and long monkey arms that refuse to fit into ladies clothing. (I actually get surprised when the sleeves reach my wrists)
So I'm off to the men's section. Now, not only do I have to find a size that will fit me (and some what flatter a Lady's figure), I have to find a design that can pass as feminine. This isn't that easy, especially when you are on a budget. So there was three coats in the one store that fit me. But two of them were manly patterns (and reminded me of the crazy walking dude on our street). So I had one choice. Just one. When I put it on, I felt like a hippopotamus. It felt large, which makes me feel large. This isn't good for a woman's self esteem.
I went to another store, and there was just ONE coat in my budget that fit. It's not too manly, and could pass as a unisex jacket. I feel okay in it. Sadly, I don't get to have much choice. I get to make do with what you can afford and what "fits."
Every time I go shopping I feel like this. Apparently, feeling like a woman is not for any one who is almost six feet tall. You get to feel large and like nothing is made for you. I always hear that I should "tailor" things. That would be great, but there isn't enough fabric to make the garment fit. I would need to find two items and sew them together!
There must be a reason my parents named me A-MAN-DA. Yep. I'm just a man stuck in a woman's body. Or, the textile world has neglected the tall woman. (aren't we considered models in the textile world? Something must be wrong.)
Meh. I guess I'll just stay away from the mall. It's better for my self esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment