Friday, December 11, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

It was a perfect walk today. I took both kids, our trusty green wagon and a very large package (containing the old broken printer) to the UPS store by Staples/Safeway. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground, and enough snow falling from the sky to keep the kids entertained. Cypress (almost 4) walked the whole way to the store, while River (2.5) rode in the wagon. We dropped off the package (yah, free shipping) and then I decided that it would be a wonderful treat to stop at Starbucks for a polar bear cookie and a kids hot chocolate. We shared the 440 calorie polar bear, splitting it in 3, Cypress ate the head, River the toes, and I got the fat belly. Then we all shared the hot chocolate. Okay, they each had a sip, decided against it and I drank the rest. We enjoyed our treats while sitting outside enjoying the snow falling. Then it was time for the walk home. Cypress was tired from the walk to the UPS store, so I let her ride in the wagon. I wanted River to walk, and of course he threw a fit. I told him he had to walk to the corner, but I never did specify which corner! After the first corner, the tears stopped (probably because he got to press the crosswalk button). After we crossed the street, River found a bird. He asked if he could catch it. I said, "sure, why not?" So off he fluttered, trying to catch a moving bird. He never did get close, but it kept him moving in the direction of home when I kept telling him there was another bird up ahead that he should catch. After a while, we got out of the forested Courthouse Yard, and into the urban forest where there were no birds. We were walking down the sidewalk and all of a sudden River kicks a mailbox. With the biggest sense of pride, he tells me, "I kicked it!" Hmm....boys will be boys and kids will be kids and River will kick things. (Just ask me about the bunny incident). But needless to say, although he was tired, he kept walking just to kick the next pole. One pole after another, he just kept walking and kicking. Now normally I'm not into the violent act of kicking. But under these circumstances, I wanted him to walk home (my arms were sore from pulling the wagon). So, I let him continue walking and kicking. He walked the whole way home and was so proud of himself. Cypress was so proud of him she just kept encouraging him and praising him for his efforts. It was a peaceful walk and a funny walk. Sometimes, you just have to let things that you know are right, go. Sometimes, you have to let the schedule and the need to move quickly slide and enjoy the time you have together. Today was one of those days. And I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment