Saturday, October 9, 2010

Commuters Paradox

This week on the radio, we heard about the commuter's paradox. The paradox is that for those who commute roughly one hour more than their counterparts who walk, they must earn 44% more to reach the same level of happiness. The problem is that they don't. Two people in the same position, one who commutes and one who doesn't earn approximately the same amount.

The question is, does this explain our happiness?

I, Amanda, take the bus for 45 minutes every morning, but need to drive 12 minutes for work, from the school to home. The bus, though annoying at times is often more relaxing than the drive. When I drive, I find myself frustrated at the slow drivers (and that means those who drive under the speed limit), the red lights and those trying to turn left. I find myself snapping at the kids and in a more tense and aggressive state of mind. I would rather just be at home than drive. The bus can also be annoying...those insane smells and that girl in the morning who talks sooo loud. But I still find myself more relaxed while I commute on the bus. Perhaps its the book I get to read or the sleep I get to catch up on. I guess the final question really is, if people are so unhappy driving so far, why do they keep doing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment