Friday, March 1, 2013

Grocery Challenge: Week 4

Cumulative Weekly Total: $76.87
Trip 1: $ 26.97
Trip 2: $44.98
Total amount Spent: $71.95
Amount Leftover: $5.00
This week we had to make some tough decisions about what to buy. We are out of A LOT of things. We are out of chocolate chips, whole wheat flour, and toothpaste (I found some samples that will tie us over). We are almost out of laundry soap, tea bags, Joel's crackers etc. I basically had to make decisions about what we can live without for a week.
 
I did buy a box of chicken (pictured under the milk) since we were out and it was on sale. And apples since Joel eats them like candy. Peanut Butter is a staple in Joel's life (and there was a buy one, get one free).
 
This is the final week of our challenge. It is NOT sustainable to spend only $60 a week on groceries. Not with prices the way they are. I've learnt a few things though.
#1. We eat A LOT of cheese. Grilled cheese is a staple in my life. Cheese chunks in Joel's. I think we go though a block and a half a week on average. Yikes! Good thing we always buy it on sale. But we should probably cut back.
#2. I am in impulse shopper. For things that we need (or things that we normally have on hand). I impulsively buy fruit and veggies. Fruit usually isn't a problem, but quite often veggies go to waste. This month, our vegetable food waste has been non-existent. Why spend money on things we are going to waste?
#3. We can easily eat weekly meals for $60 a month. But we cannot keep up with "the extras" at that pace. Kleenex, toilet paper, laundry soap, medicine would be too much for us. I must admit that I have spent A TON of meds this month. At least $60 this month on medicine for the family (okay, and another $21 on Tylenol for the kids....I stocked up since it was $3 a bottle. STEAL!) That would add another $15-20 a week if that was a part of our budget.
#4. Forcing ourselves to be conscience of what we have as leftovers helped us eat through our freezer as well as eat the leftovers in the fridge. We only wasted a pancake this month. That's it. Normally our food waste is a bit more.
#5. You can still eat good meals and feed your friends for $60. We had 8-10 extra meals this month that were shared with friends. Which, in and of itself is an eye opener. Our food budget is quite often high because it is a part of our entertainment and giving budget. We tithe in calories. That's right. Be blessed our friends and wear your weight proudly! (oh Dan! you crack me up!)
 
I'm sure there are more, but I am too tired to think of any more. Its been a good challenge. I've wanted to cheat (especially this last week). But we have done it. We are proud. And we are glad to be able to have a bit more to spend. Perhaps we'll do it again. But maybe once we have flour in our house! But for now, its back to the regular budget (or maybe less, we'll see!).
Good-bye challenge! Hello FOOD!
 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment