Wednesday, March 27, 2013

On turning 30

This past Monday, I turned 30. Yep, the big 3-0. I have to admit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Perhaps, because I spent most of the previous year stressing about turning 30.
There was a large part of me that felt like I should have my life together at 30. But here I am, a college drop-out with no long-term career. For some reason, I equated 30 with having a successful job. Nope, not for me!
But some wonderful people kept reminding me that I don't need to have my life figured out. I don't need to know what I want to do when I'm grown up. I have a wonderful husband and two lovely boys. And if I finally admit it to myself, I am doing what I wanted to do when I grew up. All my life, I wanted to be a mom. As a kid, I would play house with every stuffed animal and doll I had. I was always a mother to a large family. So far, the large family is on the back burner. Two is enough for now. But being a mom is one of the greatest blessings I have.

Yet, on my birthday, I was blessed even further.

I was blessed by a birthday greeting a few hours before my actual birthday, but in Korean time! Greg and Karmen sent me a happy birthday message so that when I turned 30 in their time zone, I already had a birthday greeting in my inbox. (This meant that on Sunday, one full day before I turned 30,  I already had my first Happy Birthday email!)

I was blessed by a surprise phone call from the Philippines. A truly encouraging phone message from Christina. Thanks for reminding me how blessed I am.

Later that night, I was blessed by a skype call with the Philippines! Getting to see the Barkman family was amazing. I have never laughed so hard about a flashlight or a coffee grinder in my life. Exactly what I needed!

I was blessed by an email from a friend (yeah Katrina) who had just returned from vacation, but yet took the time to wish me a happy birthday.

I was blessed by my mother who spent the whole day with me. She took me shopping for some new clothes (she may be the only reason I get to be frivolous!) She played with the boys in the park and stayed for dinner and dessert!

I was blessed by a surprise card in the mail box containing money just for me! Thanks Dad.

I was blessed by a great gift from my thoughtful husband! I love my new pepper mill!

I was blessed with well behaved children and lots of hugs and kisses.

I was blessed with a hand coloured card from Joel. So sweet.

I was blessed to not change any poopy diapers all day. (Thanks Dan and Mom!)

I fell asleep Monday night feeling truly blessed. Turning thirty isn't so bad...especially since I've got the greatest friends and family to support me.

2 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday! hope the sun was shining! sounds like you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete