Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Welcome to the World!

Micah Samuel McCrimmon
born June 5, 2012 at 5:28am

Micah means "Who is like God?"
Samuel means "God has heard"


Weighing 8lbs 9oz (Joel was 7 lbs 9.5oz)
21 inches long (same as Joel)

We are super excited to have our newest addition here!

The Birth Story
Joel woke up at 3am with some tummy troubles. Dan went to soothe him, while Amanda lay awake in pain. At 3:30 am, after a trip to the bathroom, Amanda felt some contractions, similar to the ones she had earlier in the evening (between 6 and 7:30pm). Within a few minutes, she realized that this was the real deal. The contractions were 2-3 minutes apart! Not wanting to call her midwives too early in case this turned into another case of false labour, Amanda resisted the urge to call too soon. At 4am, the labour instinct kicked in and it became urgent that help arrive soon.

Dan called our midwives, mother and friend/former midwife Rachel. Mom arrived first, then Rachel at 4:30am. But no midwives (they didn't arrive until 5am!) Rachel took charge, as any good friend would. Did I wanted to be check? (nah, if you say I'm 6 cm I might kill you) How was I feeling? (I'm handling the pain okay)  Did I feel like pushing? (sorta)  She constantly reassured me that I was doing a great job.

The midwives finally arrived at 5am. Sharon (who I've seen in clinic numerous times) and Joy (whom I never met before). I greeted Joy by saying, "Hello, nice to meet you when I'm here completely naked!" It gave her a laugh and made me feel comfortable with her presence. Joy was joining us from a different practise since there was another birth happening at the same time as mine.

I listened to my body and breathed through each contraction. I felt like pushing and finally allowed my body to do so. At 5:20am my water broke with a gush like a water balloon. Micah descended rapidly and I felt like his head was already half way out. I pushed a bit and his head came out with such sweet relief. He let out a little cry. Then it was time for the shoulders. But Micah decided that he wanted his hand and shoulder to arrive at the same time. Ouch! But finally he was out.

They placed him on the bed in front of me (I was on my hands and knees). I opened his legs and to my surprise, found out that I had just given birth to a little boy (I was utterly convinced that it was girl). Joy reassured me that his heart rate was good, but they were concerned since he wasn't breathing yet.  His face was blue and I have never felt so scared in my life. I kept telling him to breathe. They gave him some oxygen and Rachel rubbed her hand down his spine. It was then that he came to life and had colour in his face. He let out a little cry. He was fine! Just a bit stunned from the quick delivery.

Joel woke up at 7 am and immediately was brought in to meet his little brother. He was a bit overwhelmed by all the commotion but almost immediately offered his giraffe to Micah. He gave Micah a kiss and then went off to play.

Joel was super surprised that Micah brought him a new golf set. He refuses to let go of his new golf clubs and has scattered all the golf balls around the house.  Joel has already tried sharing his golf clubs with Micah and seems a bit disappointed that Micah doesn't play back.

We've had a good morning, bonding as a family. And look forward to many more opportunities to share the love we have for one another.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. AGHH! I'm so excited for you guys! Congratulations! He's beautiful! I can't wait to meet him <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks just like a little bit of both of you! so cute! love the story too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great to read this and see the beautiful pictures!!! I love that Joel shared his giraffe with him... that's quite a sign of love:) and how awesome that you guys wrote a whole blog post the day he arrived! impressive. we love you tons and it was SO great to talk to you today. way to go Amanda! lots of love to all 4 of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a blessing! Congratulations to all of you.

    ReplyDelete