Saturday, February 9, 2013

Grocery Challenge: Week 1


Amount spent: $50.44
Leftover cash (for next week): $9.56

Lessons from the week: I didn't think I was an impulse shopper but apparently I am. But oddly enough, its in the fruit and veggie department. As I was walking through the store, I found myself wanting to buy cauliflower to go with our broccoli, avocado to go with falafels/wraps for the week and mangoes to eat. But since we have this budget, I wasn't able to be impulsive.

I was proud that I stayed under budget and that we ate healthy meals this week. I wasn't proud to spend what I did on vegetables. I am trying to continue with my regular habits of shopping only at Pricesmart (and not hopping around to other stores). But I might have to change that. Veggies were EXPENSIVE this week. I haven't spent that much on veggies in a LONG time. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I spend over $4 on broccoli and probably another $3 on lettuce. (dang storm on the East Coast). It was bad. But we have a meal plan, that included a dangerous craving for falafels/wraps.

Yes, we make a meal plan. And yes, it is too difficult for me to change it while I'm in the store shopping and realizing the expense that the veggies are causing me. Normally, the veggies aren't that much...but I guess I caught them on a bad week. The plus side is that the tomatoes were 68 cents a pound (score!).

My other confession is that I spend $17 on Advil and gripe water for Micah. I decided to not keep that in my monthly challenge since that would consist of 1/3 of my weekly budget. Plus, with the amount of sickness going around, I have a feeling that we will be purchasing more this month. And any parent knows that stuff is PRICEY! Hopefully this will be my only exception this month.

All in all, I feel as though this challenge is going well. I look forward to Fridays when our new week begins. Hopefully we will make it to the next week without spending anything else!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment