Friday, February 15, 2013

Grocery Challenge: Week 2


Cumulative Weekly Budget: $69.56
Amount Spent: $59.65
Leftover: $9.91

I feel as though I did really well this week. I used my "oops I'm missing a square of margarine from my just opened Parkay margarine box" coupon to obtain the free popcorn. Save myself almost nine dollars. I price matched the strawberries with another grocery's flyer as a special treat this week. I found chickpeas in the bulk bin that just need to be rehydrated....over a cup of them for just 36 cents. If that works out well I may never buy canned chickpeas again (saving myself $1 or more per can).

This week we are using up the ham bone in our freezer by making white bean soup (normally I would do pea soup, but we still have some pea soup in the freezer). 

I actually only spent $40. But then I remembered that I forgot sour cream. So I went back to get it, and did some quick calculations. I knew that I could afford to buy the ingredients for lasagna (something that I have been craving, and would love to use up the frozen spinach in our freezer in it).
So, I purchased the ingredients. Don't worry! I know it cost a lot, but we will probably be sharing that meal with friends. (Chris, Katrina..how about lasagna for Valentine's Day?)

Oh, did I mention that we are still keeping up with our hospitality on $60 a week? Yep! Every Thursday, we share a meal with our care group. We do share the responsibility, but it does mean that we will cook for 3 more individuals at least once a week.
Last Friday, we hosted a lovely couple, their gorgeous baby and their brother(in-law). We did a bake-a-thon together and split the tasty treats. Four different types of cookies, a batch of muffins and a meal were split among the families.
This past Sunday, we had a potluck with the Barkman's Missionary Support Team.
And on Tuesday, we hosted a pancake dinner in honour of Pancake Tuesday for a few of our friends.
Somehow we manage to feed our friends (and friends of friends) on a smaller budget. This just adds to the complexity of the challenge. We have to find meals that are healthy and tasty that we can feed a large group with for a small amount of money. I am proud to say, we are doing it.

Another week down, and we are now half way through our challenge. I'm a bit fearful that next week will be more challenging. We are almost out of chicken (a staple in our house), we ran out of carrots and various other veggies. Next week may be a tight week. Hopefully Pricesmart has their veggies on cheap and chicken on sale! (one can hope right?)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment