Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Generosity Factor

"There's enough for all, if we would learn to share it.
There's enough for all, if we would learn to see.
There's enough for all, so bring your loaves and fishes
And offer them to Jesus, there's more than enough for you and me."
---song
 
On Sunday, I was overwhelmed by the generosity of our church. We had already given the offering. And, here we are, offering up our loose change in a second offering. The kids were each given a loonie during the children's feature to put into the basket. Joel loved this. And as we went back to our seat, Gran-Gran gave him a few more coins to put into the basket. So back to the front of the church we went, dropping more coins into the basket. I was overwhelmed by the amount of money that was being put into the basket. This church is very generous.
 
We had an entire sermon, by a guest speaker, about stewardship. About giving. Some points I agreed with, some I didn't. Did you know that if you have over $60,000 in assets, that you are in the top 10% of the rich people in the world? Crazy! The guest speaker also asked, "Do you consider yourself to be rich?" Immediately, I silently screamed, "Yes!" We are super rich. Which is so funny to think, because we live pay check to pay check. We don't have a lot of assets or things. But we are rich. Perhaps, it has more to do with our attitude about life than actually about the money (or lack thereof) in our bank account. We live a simple life. We give when we can and we give what we can. We enjoy sharing meals with people. If we sense a need in our friends or family, we quite often will give. Sometimes its money. Sometimes its clothes. Once it was a kitchen table. More often than not, its food.
Growing up, my father was a tightwad. A cheapskate to the umpth degree. I did not learn to be generous from him. In fact, I probably learned that giving wasn't a great thing because then we might not have enough. But luckily, my mother was generous. She would give (often without my father's knowledge) to help others out. I remember her making a pie to bring to a family in our church who's son had just broken his neck. That family was so thankful. They were having people over later and didn't have the greatest night beforehand and didn't have time to make anything. It was a blessing to them. But I think that experience solidified my desire to give. I have seen how giving affects its recipients.
We were at a panel discussion this week, and one man told the story of how he grew up in East Vancouver and how they never locked their doors. When someone asked him why that was, he replied, "Our neighbour might need something that we have." With his doors unlocked, they could just go in and get what they needed.  A great lesson in generosity.
I think that the speakers main point was that cheerfully giving is good. An act of worship if you will. I feel like adding, that giving, whether monetary, time or possessions, is good. But giving is not only something that we do out of obligation, its a matter of heart.
One thing that Dan and I have realized is that we love to give. Our hearts are there. Our bank account may not follow suit...and sometimes bills go overdue or unpaid for a time. Sometimes we dip into our savings account. Sometimes that meal we had tucked away for a later date, will be shipped off to someone else. Those cookies that we made will be passed on to someone who will benefit from them. Sometimes we'll sacrifice a night alone together to watch someone else's kids. Sometimes our meal for two, will be blessed with another couple joining us. Our hearts just desire to give.
 
After church, I was talking with someone who also struggles to pay bills. She expressed that she felt guilty about not being able to tithe or give more. But she also expressed that she wanted to put food on the table for her own family. She didn't really like the sermon. Perhaps because its uncomfortable. Its uncomfortable to go without material needs, so that someone else can have some. Something about that conversations irked me the wrong way. I have thought long and hard about it. Replaying the conversation numerous times. I talked with Dan about it. I think I just didn't have the words to say what I needed to say. I guess I wanted to say that its not always about the money. We can't always give money. But we can give something. A free babysitting night. A meal. A cookie. A word of encouragement. Its not so much about what you are giving, so much as that you ARE giving. Its that spirit of generosity. Give what you can, when you can. Sometimes its painful. Sometimes it hurts. Giving isn't always an experience in lovely feelings. In fact it can be awkward. It can be hard. But we are called to give! And give joyfully!
 
 "There's enough for all, if we would learn to share it.
There's enough for all, if we would learn to see.
There's enough for all, so bring your loaves and fishes
And offer them to Jesus, there's more than enough for you and me."


3 comments: